Saturday, July 27, 2013

Word Wall Cards - Sports Theme (kind of....)

In anticipation of Monday's freebie linky hosted by the Organized Classroom, I've been working on some Word Wall header cards to match my sports theme.  Since I'd like to be able to use them from year to year, they aren't actually sporty at all - just the same cute style and colors I used for my job chart, student name cards, and schedule cards!  I teach fifth grade and I've always wanted a word wall in my room, but could never really come with an idea I liked well enough to justify the amount of space it would take.  During a professional development workshop this summer, merging some of the activities we were doing, an idea came to mind. So this year I'm going to try doing a Social Studies word wall.  I teach US History, so I'm going to do a Historical Figures Word Wall.  I'm going to take people like Abigail Adams, Crispus Attucks, James Madison, Robert E. Lee, Susan B. Anthony, etc. and make cards for each of these people.  I'm then going to assign different colors to differents eras of history like Colonialism, American Revolution, Early Republic, Sectionalism, Civil War, etc. and mat the historical figures according to what time in history they played a major role.  As we learn about each person, I'll hang their card on the word wall. If they were in more than one era, they'll get pulled down and we'll add another colored mat to their name.  I don't know how well this will work, but I'm forward to giving it a try this year!  I'd say my biggest concern is having enough different colors as I have 17 eras to include!  Wish me luck!

To download the freebie, click on any of the images below.

 

 
If you are looking for more freebies then check out Manic Monday at Classroom Freebies by clicking on the image below.

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment